Monday, January 19, 2009

On the horizon

Two more soon-to-be FO's. I have another Jayne Hat on the needles for my friend Alida's boyfriend. It's his Valentine's Day present so I need to get it done & out to her in Seattle by the 1st (my deadline, not hers!)

The mitten is for the Wee One. It's mate is 30% finished & hopefully will be done later this morning. It's the first time I've used a pattern that doesn't use a traditional thumb gusset & I'm on the fence on whether I like it or not. It does use waste yarn for the thumb stitches rather than a stitch holder & I do like that, but the lack of thumb gusset is a little "eh" for me.

Speaking of the Wee One, she did indeed have strep. The doctor called a couple hours after we got home to let us know the rapid strep test came back positive. Interestingly enough, she didn't have strep in Sept. They're thinking it was either tonsilitis or that the swab didn't get enough cells. At any rate, we're officially "keeping an eye" on her. I'm hoping we stay strep & tonsilitis-free for many, many months. The idea of her having surgery just isn't appealling to me!

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I like the two colors on the mittens!

Poor Wee one! I hope her throat gets all better!

Holly S. said...

I gotta tell you, I had sore throats a lot when I was little and that's when they were starting to NOT routinely take out tonsils, so I kept them. Then in college I developed allergies and, oh boy, allergy induced tonsillitis. When I was 24, I passed the cutoff of 4 incidences of tonsilitis in one year (I had six) along with a related inner ear infection. I had my tonsils out and it's the worst thing I have ever physically been through. If she needs them out, get them out now. It's much, much worse for an adult. She won't necessarily grow out of it. I didn't.