Thursday, March 20, 2008

Babble babble

Maybe it's the fact that I've had a cold for almost a week, maybe it's the fact that I had some weird tummy bug today, maybe it's just the fact that it's the anniversary of 2 significant events in my life.

The first being that today would have been my sister's 52nd birthday. She died 2 months before turning 14 of meningitis. She was the oldest of us kids & I'm not kidding when I tell you she was perfect. Julie was very pretty, sweet to everyone, very intelligent & when I was little, thought she had perfect penmanship. Her death was a huge blow to my parents, family & our community. I went from being the 2nd daughter to the only daughter, my brother Michael suddenly was the oldest. Years later when I was in my party girl stage I would run into a guy who had a crush on her in grade school. He'd always tell me how perfect she was, beautiful & just the best person ever. Amazing how 1 person impacts so many lives. I wish I'd known her more than I did as I was 2 1/2 when she died. I think I would have liked to have had an older sister.

The other is the 5th anniversary of the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Last year I blogged ad nauseum about that night & the following day so I shall spare you this year, thank me later! 5 years later Hunter is winding down his 3rd combat tour over there, the Wee One will be 4 in a couple weeks & will celebrate her 3rd birthday w/out her Daddy. War changes all involved. As the proud wife of a soldier, it's made me stronger. I have always been independant but these year long deployments remind me just how independant I really am.

Last week I came down w/ a little cold which quickly moved to my chest so I've been a coughing machines. Yesterday I wound up w/ a tummy bug so today I've been weak & just blah. I've managed to keep down 5 peanut butter crackers, 3/4 of a grilled cheese, some grapes & a red skittle that the Wee One promised would help me to feel better.

Im thinking more grapes would make me feel better. And some water. I'm wishing I had some diet ginger ale & am kicking myself for not picking some up when I drove her to school this am!

Oh an unrelated note---I watched Hairspray the other night--the remake. Very cute, the color is vibrant & beautiful & the songs are cute. John Travolta's Baltimore accent is AWFUL. AW-FUL! My Mom's twin sister has lived in "ball-mer" for over 50 yrs & I'll tell you, my cousins sound nothing like JT's accent. His "hon" was horrible & forced. And that Mid-Atlantic coastal "o"? Yeah, overkill. I did enjoy him as Edna as I do like JT. He was one of my first pre-teen heartthrobs. Vinny Babarino anyone? I said a-bar-bar-bar, bar-bar-barino. . .*sigh* Grease? Saturday Night Fever?! When I was 10 & the movie came out I had the soundtrack. The movie was WAY beyond my 10 yr old viewing! There was a small disco in my hometown called "Le Club" Original, no? ha! Rumor had it there was a dance floor that lit up just like the club in SNF! Was there anything better in life???? Sadly they closed before I turned 18 & could go myself. Of course, disco was dead by then.

I'm off to get more grapes & maybe some crackers. Tonight is LOST so you'll find me watching w/ the Ravelry LOST group.

2 comments:

jopal said...

Hope you feel better soon! That was how I felt a couple weeks ago - and I ended up with laryngitis!
take care of yourself!
Tell the wee one that red M&M's work better!

Dorothy said...

I hope you feel better! This winter has been awful with sickness.

Thank you again for giving up your husband to serve our country! I can only imagine what it's like to make such a sacrifice.